Saturday, March 17, 2012

books books books



I remembered Brambly Hedge from my childhood, and I went on the website and read about how Jill came up with the idea for it.

"The London Underground would form a key role in the unintended development of Brambly Hedge in Jill’s mind. She travelled to art college on the Central Line from Epping, “I came to hate this journey, the carriages were crammed full of people, everything seemed so filthy. It was like a glimpse of hell.” Jill would shut herself off and escape into an inner world, a hedge bank of mice. These moments of escapism from the subterranean bustle gradually became what we now know as Brambly Hedge."

I could really relate to that feeling of hating the journey. Last year, before I moved, I had to catch the train for 2 hours to University, and 2 hours home, and I hated it. It was so tiring, the air conditioning would give me headaches and there'd always be rowdy school kids or children being noisy and (mostly) annoying. So I'd put in my headphones, get out my notebook, and write about characters and ideas for stories. I'm glad I now only have to do those journeys when I go back to see my family, instead of every other day.




I also bought the box set of The Mysterious Benedict Society. I've heard lots and lots and lots about them and decided I couldn't wait any longer. They arrived yesterday and even though I am currently reading a different book, I couldn't help myself but start reading the first one anyway. I used to read multiple books at once all the time, and it's not like it's a 'bad' thing to do. I've just been in the habit of only reading one book at a time recently.



Apart from buying books, I've really not been doing a lot. I have been listening to my favourite band of high school a lot. It makes me feel so strange. I finished high school in 2010, but it already feels like forever ago (thankfully). I hated high school more than the train trips to University, that's for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I remember brambly hedge, I had little china figurines. This illustrations are such a delight, brings back such lovely memories. Such a nice blog you have here. You have one new follower :)

    Holly
    http://pickleisatreat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find they have almost a calming effect on me! If I'm too stressed I'll flip through the book and get lost in the illustrations. It's quite nice!

      Delete