Wednesday, February 13, 2013

another month









1. the piece of cake from the bakery that looked better than it tasted. in fact, it spurred me on to properly commit to baking regularly. i baked a chocolate mud cake for my brother's 12th birthday and it was a big hit. (and was all the better because they keep for a week in the fridge so it's like a week-long party, so long as you can get past the guilt... let me tell you, eating baked goods became a lot harder once i was aware of how much butter and sugar is in everything!) i'm hoping to make a sponge cake next, perhaps i could make a post about it! // 2. this dress cost me $3 from an op shop. it's the perfect length for me too (at the knees) and makes me feel nice and summery - especially because the weather here has been the most excellent, bearable summer weather i think i've ever experienced. it's hovered between 25-29 degrees C every single day (usually at this time of year it's between 30-35 and humid beyond belief). my moods are very much influenced by the weather and so lately i have been very happy indeed! // 3. my great friend Jody recently went on a big trip to the USA & Canada, and made a special stop at the Eloise shop in The Plaza Hotel of New York City! just for me! The Plaza is perhaps the only thing in the USA that interests me... i've always planned on saving up enough so i can go stay there someday. // 4. my stack of library books. i tend to go a little crazy with my reserves, but it is hard to stagger things when you're in a waiting list and it's impossible to know when books with be returned and become available. luckily i read quickly (i've read 23 books already this year??? bonkers, i know!) so i know they'll be finished before they're due back. (they're also stacked in order of to-read, which is slightly maddening when i want to stack them in order of book size... but this way it's easier!) are any of you reading anything good at the moment?

4 comments:

  1. i know this TV show Bunheads although i haven't watched it, but i don't know if it is the same Bunheads as one of that novels in your picture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not the same, the shared name is only a coincidence, but i watch & love the tv show too!

      Delete
  2. That daisy dress is really beautiful and perfect for spring. (I'm ready for warmer weather. As I type this, it's snowing outside!) And I definitely need to start reading for pleasure again; since I started grad school, I've been completely swamped with academic articles! My stack of "to-read"s is at least as high as yours, but who knows when I'll get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the daisy dress. If only I could come across such a beautiful piece while op shopping!

    Congrats on your successful cake baking, I also discovered that baking your own cakes are much tastier (but then you do become more aware of fat/sugar content...although it all much be better than the preservatives that go into store bought cakes!)

    Your Eloise gifts are so adorable! And wow, 23 books, my attempt is pitiful.

    ReplyDelete